When you are not paralyzed by fear of anxiety, but rather focusing on it in a mindful, detached manner, you’re much more likely to be able to reframe from threatening situations. Mindful awareness is like a rest stop where you can look over your cognitive map (examine how you’re thinking), reorganizing your feelings, or reframe them. That’s how you build your coping skills, in turn, lead to better health overall as well as help you deal with business crises in the moment.

Richard Wiseman, author of The Luck Factor, stated in an article in Newsweek, “My interviews suggested that lucky people’s gut feelings and hunches tended to pay off time and time again. In contrast, unlucky people often ignore their intuition and regret their decision.” According to Wiseman, only 10 percent of what happens to you in life is purely random. The rest-90 percent is “actually defined by what you think.” He offers four keys to creating your own “luck” :

1. Relax and allow yourself to be more aware of your environment for opportunities from which you can benefit.

2. Listen carefully to your hunches, even if you don’t understand where they come from.

3. Even when you seem to be facing failure, persevere. Says Wiseman: “The unlucky people gave up before they even started.”

4. Make use of reframing. Get into that “silver lining” when you face apparent misfortune. This ability to turn apparent bad luck into good fortune, according to Wiseman, plays a very important role in surviving threatening circumstances. So reframing has great advantages when you learn how to use it.


Interested in learning more? Be sure to take advantage of the additional resources Relationship Economics has to offer:

  • Sign up for the Relationship Economics Monthly Newsletter and receive poignant, practical and insightful advice regarding business relationships and social networking best practices.
  • Attend the next Relationship Economics @ Work Webinar series and learn ways your company can experience unprecedented growth!
  • Text ‘RETip’ to 90210 and receive real-time business relationship insight and tips. Opt-out at anytime.
  • Join the Relationship Economics Group on LinkedIn and join in on the conversation.
  • Follow me on Twitter.
  • Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedIn