John Chambers’ (Cisco) Expectations of Leaders
John recently provided advice and expectations for Cisco leaders that go beyond their own functions, meeting goals and building quality teams:
- Think about where we are going and understand the organizational structure and business model for Cisco. Master it and take it to others.
- Take one market opportunity at a time and talk to your team about it.
- Work and lead cross-functionally, seamlessly, and get results as a team.
- Work using collaboration and Web 2.0 tools.
- Get comfortable with the organization you work for changing with every meeting; this will constantly evolve.
- Vision, Strategy, and Execution (VSE) should prescribe everything you do. Always start with a VSE and remind your teams where they are going. Use the cross functional common vocabulary to describe what you want to accomplish.
- Think in four dimensions (time is the fourth) constantly, weighing the impact of your decisions and play out a virtual chess game in your head. Do it dynamically from one meeting to the next or simultaneously in more than one meeting.
- Part of the reward for doing a good job is you will move somewhere else. Establishing a comfort level with this is key to moving fast.
- Have fun.