Steve and Allison, who I’ve known for over a decade, are exceptional parents you can’t help but admire. Loving, yet firm as evident by amazing kids they’ve raised. He posted the note below online and it resonated with me that if we can teach all of our kids these rules, we’ll have fewer problems when they become adults in charge of taking care of the rest of us. Although relevant to both genders, we need more responsible, accountable, and admirable men in our future.
Enjoy, and as always, I welcome your comments. David Nour
RULES TO TEACH YOUR KIDS:
1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
2. Learn how to cook a signature dish.
3. Spend 30 min a day reading up on current events.
4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
5. Request a late check-out.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
8. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
9. Play with passion or don’t play at all…
10. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye.
11. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
12. Stand up when she enters the room.
13. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.
14. You marry the girl, you marry her family.
15. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
16. Experience the serenity of traveling alone.
17. Never be afraid to ask out the best-looking girl in the room.
18. Never turn down a breath mint.
19. A sport coat is worth 1000 words.
20. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.
21. Thank a veteran. Then make it up to him.
22. Open her door and walk on the outside of the street.
23. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.
24. Ask your mom to play. She won’t let you win.
25. Manners make the man.
26. Give credit. Take the blame.
27. Stand up to bullies and racists. Defend their victims.
28. Write down your dreams.
29. Add value everywhere you go.
30. Be confident and humble at the same time.
31. If ever in doubt,
REMEMBER WHOSE SON YOU ARE and REFUSE to just be ordinary!
32. Change the world, don’t let it change you.